If you’re looking for a vacation filled with charm and adventure, look no further than Martha’s Vineyard. The New England island is home to numerous charming towns, including Edgartown. Home to Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites, the seaport village has countless things to do and see. However, before you can enjoy all the fun, you need to figure out how to get to Martha’s Vineyard. There are a few different ways to reach your final destination; keep reading to learn more about them.
What to Know about Riding the Ferry
In the movie Jaws, Chief Brody remarks, “It’s only an island if you look at it from the water.” Notwithstanding that island-centric outlook, visitors still have to cross a body of water to get to the Vineyard!
Found only two and a half miles off Massachusetts’ Cape Cod coast, the most popular way to reach Martha’s Vineyard is by ferry, and there are quite a few options. There are more offerings between May and October, but several routes are available year-round. Most ferries are passenger-only, so be sure to find out what parking options are available if you are driving to the dock.
– The Steamship Authority provides the most extensive ferry schedule throughout the year, accommodating passengers and cars. Steamship ferries leave from Woods Hole on Cape Cod and arrive in Vineyard Haven year-round and Oak Bluffs during the summer and fall. If you plan on bringing a car, be sure to book well in advance, particularly during the summer season, as boats fill quickly.
– Seastreak is a passenger-only, fast ferry service that leaves from New Bedford, MA, to Vineyard Haven. Once a seasonal operation, the Seastreak now runs year-round with multiple ferries to and from the Vineyard daily.
– For those traveling from the NY metro area and points further south, or from Connecticut or Rhode Island and would like to cut down on the drive time to the Cape, there’s a great option. The Rhode Island Fast Ferry is a high-speed ferry that takes vacationers from Quonset Point, RI, to Oak Bluffs. This service only runs during the summer and early fall, so check the schedule before planning your vacation.
– The Falmouth-Edgartown Ferry drops riders off at Memorial Wharf, only about a five-minute walk from our Edgartown hotel. This seasonal ferry operates between Falmouth Harbor on Cape Cod and Edgartown.
– You can also reserve your seat on Hy-Line Cruises. You can choose to depart from either Hyannis or Nantucket, but either service arrives at the Oak Bluffs Harbor. The Hy-Line is a seasonal ferry that operates only in the summer and fall.
– One final option is The Island Queen. The seasonal service provides numerous daily departures between Falmouth on Cape Cod to Oak Bluffs.
What about Flying?
Ferries aren’t the only way to reach Martha’s Vineyard. A second mode of transportation is by plane. Fly from Boston, New Bedford, Providence, Hyannis, or Nantucket on Cape Air. Just like ferries, other options become available during tourist season, including American Airlines, Delta, and Jet Blue.
Once you reach Martha’s Vineyard, there are several ways to get around the island, including numerous taxi services, rental cars, and more. Check out our blog for more information.
Plan Your Next Edgartown Vacation Today
As you’re figuring out how to get to Martha’s Vineyard, reserve your room at Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites at the same time. Our charming boutique hotel is located in the heart of Edgartown, which means adventure is right around the corner. Have fun exploring all this popular New England destination has to offer before resting up at the hotel.
We have worked to provide several accommodation styles, which allows us to host groups of all budgets. Our Edgartown hotel also features several on-site amenities that’ll enhance any stay. To learn more about our hotel or special offers, call 508-627-4711.