Galleries and Art Collections in Edgartown
Martha’s Vineyard boasts a vibrant art community with galleries island-wide representing amazing talents from all over the world. Here in Edgartown, don’t miss these varied galleries located just a short stroll from the Square:
- Eisenhauer Gallery (at Vineyard Square). Duck in from the hotel’s lobby and enjoy works from more than 50 artists at the Eisenhauer Gallery. The collection leans toward contemporary styles but also includes skillful still lifes and more traditional landscapes. Remember to check out the jewelry case, which displays wonderful and unique pieces.
- Antieau Gallery. This New Orleans-based gallery recently opened a Martha’s Vineyard location at 11 North Summer Street in Edgartown. Featuring the humorous and colorful work of Chris Roberts, Antieau Gallery offers something very different from New England landscapes!
- Christina Gallery. With a focus on traditional art, including Impressionism and Expressionism, Christina Gallery has graced the corner of Winter and Water Streets for 34 years. Check out the collection of antique maps and nautical charts.
- North Water Gallery. Current home to Island favorite, Ray Ellis, and many other talented artists. Descend downstairs at North Water Gallery into a labyrinth of wonderful finds. Sometimes we Edgartown folk get lucky and the gallery transfers over and displays the work of world famous Life photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt from its sister gallery – the Granary Gallery – in West Tisbury.
- Old Sculpin Gallery. This historic landmark on the harbor by the Chappy ferry is owned and operated by the Martha’s Vineyard Art Association. Stroll through exhibits of members work or join in a workshop at Old Sculpin Gallery to improve your own skills.
A Little Further Afield
The Featherstone Center for the Arts in Oak Bluffs (near the “blinking light”) hosts weekly flea markets displaying terrific artists who don’t show in galleries. Another great source of local arts and crafts is the Artisan Fairs held weekly at the Grange Hall in West Tisbury throughout the summer – with special shows on holidays, including Thanksgiving.