Sometimes when on vacation you learn something new. Maybe it’s trying a new activity or new type of cuisine at a local restaurant, and sometimes you learn something new about the area you’re visiting. Located in Edgartown, Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites is surrounded by Martha’s Vineyard history, and the best way to experience it is by visiting an area museum.
A Guide to Top Museums and Historical Landmarks
For being a small island, Martha’s Vineyard is filled with history. Learning about this history can give you a deeper understanding and appreciation for this popular New England destination.
- While not a single museum, the African-American Heritage Trail of Matha’s Vineyard is comprised of 30 sites dedicated to the once unrecognized contributions of those of African descent to the island. Spend some time following the map to learn about the sites and their significance.
- Wander Martha’s Vineyard Museum, featuring historic buildings filled with exhibits from pre-Colonial to modern times. Hours vary depending on the season, so be sure to check opening and closing times before visiting this museum.
- Visit the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouse on the island when you stop by the Nathan Mayhew Schoolhouse. Built in 1828, this building was once used as a maritime museum.
- See a 1927 and 1952 Mack fire truck at the Edgartown Fire Museum, which is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May until October.
- Located in nearby Oak Bluffs, the Mariposa Museum looks at American history and experience through the work of storytellers, artists, and scholars of color. This museum is open seasonally, so be sure to check current hours before visiting.
- See what life on the island has been like throughout four centuries by exploring the Vincent House & Gardens. This house was built in 1672 and moved to its current location in the late 1970s.
- Constructed in 1976 and moved to Oak Bluffs in 1884, the Flying Horses Carousel is the oldest platform carousel in the county. In fact, it’s only one of two Dare carousels still in existence.
Talk with our knowledgeable concierge staff for more recommendations on historical points of interest.
Take a Step Back in Time during a New England Getaway
Overlooking the historic waterfront district of Edgartown, Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites is the perfect home base for a quintessential New England vacation. Be close to everything Martha’s Vineyard has to offer, including historic landmarks, captivating museums, and sandy beaches.
Our luxurious accommodations come in a range of price points, which means you can find something that fits your budget. During your stay, be sure to take advantage of our on-site amenities, including board games, bike rental, in-season continental breakfast, and more. To learn more about our Edgartown hotel and current offers, call 508-627-4711.