The DifferencesOne of the first main differences between these two islands is their size. Martha’s Vineyard is almost twice the size of Nantucket, measuring in at 96 square miles. Because of its larger size, Martha’s Vineyard is home to several towns, each with their own unique personality. While both islands are home to stunning scenery, there are noticeable differences in what you can expect to see. Martha’s Vineyard features rolling hills and high cliffs, while Nantucket is flatter. If you’re looking to spend time on the beach, both New England spots are home to incredible beaches. However, because of its larger size, there is more coastline on Martha’s Vineyard. Some of the best beaches near our Edgartown hotel include Lighthouse Beach and South Beach, which are the perfect places to enjoy incredible beach activities.
The SimilaritiesWhile the two islands have plenty of differences, there are also several similarities.
- Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard are great places to enjoy outdoor activities, like kayak tours with Island Spirit Kayak through Martha’s Vineyard waterways.
- Both are home to lighthouses that serve as landmarks to their maritime past, including the Edgartown Lighthouse.
- Summer is the main tourist season.
- Both are great to explore on bike rentals, like those available to our guests or from local shops like Edgartown Bicycles.
- Both are the perfect destination for everyone, from families to couples looking to make lifelong memories.